Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Macworld 2008 reaction - UPDATED


Good all-around keynote. Stevie J. had a little sumpin'-sumpin' for everybody: iPhone/iPod and Apple TV updates, new Time Capsule networking and the incredibly thin Macbook Air (seen above).

That's one fine lookin' lappy, but I won't be giving up my current Macbook anytime soon. I'm not sure why Apple thinks they can strip features away from a product and charge twice what it's worth. Then again, many would argue that's what they always do.

I'm disappointed Apple is charging early adopters of the Touch $20 to get the upgraded software that should have been included on the device to begin with. It seems like a slap in the face to their existing customers. Of course, they have a lot of experience with that.

Time Capsule is a cool concept, but it seems to me the same functionality should be available natively in Leopard without requiring and additional piece of $300 (or $500) hardware. You can get a 500 GB external drive and a wireless router for a lot less than $200.

All that being said, I'm going to unlock my iPhone tonight.

Photo courtesy of Gizmodo.