Pages

Friday, February 09, 2007

Bumper sticker: Why is there always money for war, but not for education?

My wife taught a math class to 37 kids at a public middle school. I can vouch for the need for more money in our educational system. I don't think a lot of people dispute that. However, finding money always seems to be an issue.

Yet, as this bumper sticker pointed out (yes, apparently I am gaining insight into our political situation via bumper stickers) we can readily find billions in to fund the war in Iraq. To clarify, I support our troops and the cause of liberation (whether that's the only "cause" is up for debate in my mind) but am baffled at 1. how much we spend on defense and 2. how little makes it to our troops. (Driving around in unarmored vehicles??)

Some would argue that it's a matter of "national security" and "don't you want to protect the men and women fighting for freedom?" Yes I do. (See above.) I would respond with the question, "Isn't educating the future of America a critical need as well?"

I tell ya what. Bush is really starting to get on my bad side. The whole covering up evidence of global warming isn't helping matters either. Three years ago I wouldn't have thought I'd say this but I'm looking forward to a refresh in the White House.