Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

Update on the traveling trash can experiment

Despite the major inconvenience I've stuck with my trash can experiment. The first night was a little weird. I left the trash can where Cleaning Guy left it the night before. He came in. He saw the can. We made eye contact. He knew. It was awkward.

Over the last week or so I've let the cleaning crew guy put my trash can back wherever he wants instead of where it is supposed to be. Ideally, I'd have a camera with a wide-angle lens mounted above my office to provide a bird's-eye view of the journey of the trash can. Sadly,  I don't have such a camera so I sketched out a little map of my office and used an eraser to represent the route the trash can (Trashy) has taken. (You can click each image to zoom in.)

This is where my trash can is supposed to be: behind me under my desk:


This is where the can is directly in front of my desk drawers:


This one is even less convenient because it blocks to drawers while sticking enough to be tripped over:



Trashy made a big jump back under my little side table. Not a bad place for it - at least I could open my drawers:



It hung out in this area for a few days:












Finally it ended up almost smack-dab in the middle of my doorway. Tomorrow I'll move it back to where it's supposed to be and we'll see if Cleaning Guy gets the point.