Pages

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The trash can experiment

I walk into my office each morning and on a semi-regular basis find my trash in a place other than where I normally keep it.

You see, the cleaning guy doesn't put it back. He comes in and grabs it and tosses any trash that may be in it into a bigger trash can in the hallway. This is good. However, upon returning the can to my office, he only makes it about half way back and sets it on the floor in front of my desk drawers instead of tucked away under the opposite side of the desk where it belongs. I can only imagine a two reasons for this:

1. Short-term memory loss. The poor guy can't remember where the trash can goes despite picking it up just 15 seconds earlier. (Sad.)

2. He's lazy. (Also sad.)

Not to be overly critical, but I'm leaning toward number one because he never forgets where it goes when I'm in the office and he comes in.

So I'm going to do a little experiment and for the next little while I'm going to leave my trash can wherever he puts it. I won't touch it. If he puts it in the middle of my doorway I'll step over it. If he puts it on my chair I'll stand all day or find a new chair. (Don't any of you go giving the cleaning guy any crazy ideas. This is a scientific experiment.)

What do you think will happen? Let me know in the comments.

UPDATE: Dang it! I was still at my desk when he came in tonight. I tried not to make eye contact. It was awkward.