Pages

Friday, April 14, 2006

Media needs and alternative energy.

I have the need for a media...fix. I constantly crave news/information. I check up on Cnet, Wired, Engadget, Gizmodo, Macrumors, Appleinsider, Thinksecret and Mobiletracker all before I leave the house in the morning. I'll read anything I can get my hands on when it comes to tech. I check my RSS feeds consistantly throughout the day, along with a customized Google homepage. I wish I could get RSS feeds on my cell phone without having to pay through the nose for it. If I knew sources that would give me more information I would visit them too.

Recently I've been getting into information on alternative energy sources. From Wired to Reader's Digest. I'm especially interested in news about ethanol (E85) and hydrogen as renewable energy sources. I think ethanol is a more likely solution because, from what I've read, it will be an easier technology to adopt. Hydrogen would be preferable, but it requires a huge amount of enery to separate hydrogen from, most likely, water. So unless some breakthrough happens which allows low-energy breakdown of water molecules, hydrogen will probably be a way off.

I had a thought though. If someone stumbles upon a way to produce hydrogen cheap and insanely effeciently, maybe that technology could be scaled down and incorporated into the vehicle itself. They've already started harnessing electricity created from cars and use it in hybrids. So, hypothetically, a car would create enough kinetic energy to break down the H2O while driving. The hydrogen is channeled to the engine, the oxygen is released out the tailpipe. All you have to do is fill up from your garden hose for free.

It's nice to think about, but there's a huge "THEN A MIRACLE OCCURS" factor that is still a ways off. 1. The technology has to be discovered and developed. 2. It has to be cheap. 3. It has to be adopted by the auto industry. 4. It has to be reliable.

Until then, I'll keep feasting on any information I can get ahold of. Know of any good sites? Let me know in comments.