Pages

Friday, January 30, 2009

A week? Seriously?

Dag, yo. I didn't realize it's been a week since I last posted. I have three posts (or at least quick thoughts jotted down that have the potential to become posts) saved in draft form waiting for the time...well, I'm not sure exactly what they're waiting for aside from me to get the chance to work on them.

I've been busy.

I would tell you what I've been busy doing but I don't have time.

Today I got my new business cards. "Social media strategist." Additional title. New responsibilities. No raise. It's cool. I'm pretty stoked that I have a job.

I've been thinking quite a bit recently about how the world has changed a lot in a relatively short amount of time. Think about it. I remember very clearly when the Internet didn't exist (or at least it didn't exist outside of government and universities.) You probably do too.

Now think about how much of your life depends on it. The way we pay bills, the way we buy stuff, the way we communicate with each other, the way we bank, the way we find people, the way we work, the way we learn and discover new things and the fact that you're reading this right now. It's all the web. It's literally transformed our way of life in the span of around 15 years.

How many more 15 years do I have left in my lifetime? Probably a few. At least three I'd guess. Makes you wonder what's going to happen.

My mom said she thought it would have been fascinating to live when her grandmother did because she (her grandmother) went from riding a horse and buggy to seeing a man on the moon.

That really is remarkable.

But if I had to choose I'd rather have my laptop and the Internet and not have gone to the moon.

I think I could really go for a sabbatical. There's so much reading, thinking and writing I'd like to do about these changes. Take advertising for example.

TV ads in the 50's, 60's, and even into the 70's and 80's were on the Big Three networks. If you wanted to reach people, you advertised during Ed Sullivan and you could probably count on most of America seeing your message. It was like the Superbowl five nights a week.

Not anymore.

I think I may have just re-locked my unlocked iPhone. Not sure why, but it's not recognizing my T-Mobile SIM card. It's like it wants a SIM card from AT&T or something. Fat chance, iPhone. I love you, but I'll throw you to the wolves (or in the junk drawer) before I switch to AT&T. And don't give me that attitude. I'll wipe your pretty little self so clean there won't be an original 1 or 0 on you. Think about it long and hard and we'll continue this discussion in the morning.

For those of you who are reading this and aren't inanimate objects, I hope you have a good weekend. Who knows? Maybe the next time we see each other I'll reintroduce you to my new iPhone.